Portobello mushrooms Eggs Benedict
A new breakfast mixed with portobello mushrooms and ham.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stalks removed
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 peppercorns
- 3 egg yolks
- 160 g unsalted butter at room temperature, cubed
- squeeze lemon juice
- 200 g baby spinach, wilted
- 4 slices good ham, Parma ham or 8 sliced grilled streaky bacon
- 4 poached eggs
- chopped chives, to garnish
Heat oven to 200°C. Place mushrooms, gill-side up, on an oven tray. Season well, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, simmer vinegar, water, bay leaf and peppercorn in a small saucepan until reduced to about 1 tbsp, then strain into a glass bowl.
Add 1 tbsp water. Whisk in the yolks and season well. Put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
Add a knob of butter at a time, ensuring each is well whisked in before adding next. Cook for 2 minutes more until thickened, then whisk in the lemon juice.
Place the mushrooms on four plates and layer up with spinach, ham, eggs and Hollandaise. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.