Peri-peri mushrooms & chicken livers on rye toast
A tasty breakfast bowl with chicken livers, spicy peri-peri mushrooms and delicious rye toast.
- 15 ml olive oil
- 250 g chicken livers
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 sprigs of thyme, woody stalks discarded
- ¾ cup store-bought peri-peri marinade (or basting sauce) of your choice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- a drizzle of cream (optional)
- a handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- a few slices of rye bread, toasted, to serve
Heat the butter & oil in a large wide pan, then add the livers and mushrooms. Fry, stirring, over high heat until the livers are almost cooked (3-4 minutes).
Add the sauce, then cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce is thick and the livers are cooked through (do not overcook).
Remove from the heat and season to taste, adding a dash of cream if preferred. Serve hot, scattered with fresh coriander, on/with rye toast.