Overstuffed Portabellos with Cashew Cream
Delight in overstuffed portabellos filled with a luscious cashew cream, for a rich and flavorful vegetarian option.
- 140 g raw cashew nuts
- 125 ml water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 250 g baby button mushrooms sliced in half
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 400 g tin artichoke hearts in brine drained and sliced
- ¼ red onion finely diced
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 1 bunch baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 bunch dill roughly chopped
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 6 large portabello mushrooms
- cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil for cooking
- low carb bread or sprouted wholemeal bread
- salt and pepper to taste
For the cashew cream
Place cashew nuts in a small saucepan and cover with water.Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Drain.Place cashews in a high-powered blender along with the measured water, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and nutritional yeast.Season well with salt and pepper. Blend on high until smooth, thick and creamy.Taste to adjust seasoning and add more water or lemon juice if needed.
For the mushrooms
Heat a drizzle of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick frying pan or spray lightly with cooking spray.
Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly golden and just tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the artichoke hearts and toss them in the garlic oil with the mushrooms. Season everything lightly with salt and pepper. Combine the rest of the filling ingredients in a bowl and add the warm mushrooms and artichokes. Taste to adjust seasoning.
Heat oven onto grill setting.
Season portabellos with salt and pepper. Place on a roasting tray, cap side down. Dry roast for about 10 minutes, depending on their size, until tender and juicy. Spoon a little cashew nut cream onto each mushroom.Fill with the baby button and artichoke filling. Top with a little extra cashew cream.
Serve with lemon wedges on the side and enjoy!