A delicious snack sandwich dripping with melted mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- 4 large slices your favourite bread (preferably sourdough and rye)
- Softened butter, for spreading
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese at room temperature
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese at room temperature
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Add a drizzle of olive oil to a saute pan on medium high heat. Cook the portabellos with the fresh thyme and chilli flakes until golden brown.Season and set aside. Spread one side of two pieces of bread with a little softened butter.Flip over and place a layer of cheddar on each sandwich. Top with mushrooms. Season. And then top with the mozzarella.
Butter the remaining two pieces of bread and complete the sandwiches.
Place the sandwiches on a cold, large non stick frying pan off the heat. Use 2 if you do not have 1 large enough as the sandwiches must sit flush against the pan. Place on very low heat and allow the bread to get golden brown while the cheese slowly melts.Flip once.
When the bread is a deep golden brown and the cheeses are fully melted remove from the pan.
Transfer to a board, slice and eat immediately!