Mushroom, Carrot & Quinoa Fish Balls with Tomato rice
Enjoy this favourite fish ball recipe on a bed of tomato rice
For the Fish balls
- 500 g hake fillets (or any firm white fish)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g white button mushrooms
- 1 large carrot peeled & grated
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 2 xl free-range eggs lightly beaten
- 1 lemon zest
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup spring onions sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ onion diced
- 400 g tin diced / chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups long grain rice
Herbed yoghurt sauce:
- 1 cup Greek-style / double cream yoghurt
- 1 handful fresh herbs (dill, parsley & chives work well) roughly chopped
- ½ lemon juiced
- salt and pepper
For the herbed yoghurt sauce
For the tomato rice
Cook rice according to package instructions.
Heat butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently until softened.
Add the tinned tomato and season well. Simmer until the tomato has thickened and reduced.
Stir through the cooked rice and fold it gently into the tomato sauce. Keep the lid on and the rice warm until ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 180˚C.
For the fish
Place hake fillets on a lined baking tray. Lightly brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before removing any bits of skin. Lightly flake the cooked fillets into a large bowl and set aside to cool completely.