A delicious baguette with baked pizza toppings
- 4 large portabello mushrooms / 400g large brown mushrooms
- 100 g baby portabellini mushrooms sliced
- 2 baguettes
- 375 ml tomato based pasta sauce of choice tomato & basil works very well or use arabiata for a chilli kick
- 250 g mozzarella cheese grated
- 200 g mixed olives sliced
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chilli for serving
For the mushrooms
Preheat oven to 200˚C, fan on.Place oven rack towards the top 3rd of the oven.Place the portabellos on a baking tray. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Dry roast for 7 minutes until just tender but not fully cooked through.Allow to rest skin side up and release their liquid.Slice.
For the baguette
Halve each baguette lengthways.Place on a baking tray and brush with a little olive oil.Bake in the oven for 5 min to crisp up.
For the sauce
Place pasta sauce in a small saucepan and reduce until slightly thickened and a good spreadable consistency.Spread a few tablespoons of pasta sauce onto each baguette half.
Top each half with cheese, sliced portabellos, raw baby portabellinis, olives and capers.Finish with a sprinkle of Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Return to the oven and bake for 6-8 min, until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.Serve straight away with some chilli on the side.