Garlic butter button mushroom armadillos
A delicious side dish to go with the mexican fiesta.
- 50 g best-quality butter at room temperature
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 handful soft herbs (parsley, coriander, chervil, chives etc) finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes or finely chopped fresh chilli to taste optional
- 500 g large whole Button mushrooms, stalks removed
- 4 tsp long wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
Mix together the butter, garlic, herbs and chilli, if using.
Fill the mushrooms with the butter and thread them onto the skewers, packing them tightly together so the filling isn’t lost during cooking.
Place over a hot braai, turning often, to allow the mushrooms to get grill marks, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a double foil “boat” if you’d like to cook further and are losing butter to the flames.
Serve in place of garlic bread.