Coconut Creamed Greens & Mushroom
A delicious vegan friendly side dish to add to your meal.
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional but gives a wonderful cheesy flavour to vegan dishes)
- 1 tin unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large bunch swiss chard or kale
- 250 g Portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate rubies
- ½ cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large frying pan, heat a little olive or coconut oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft. Season well and add the nutmeg and nutritional yeast. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Wash and dry the swiss chard. Roll up the leaves and roughly chop them Once the coconut milk has reduced slightly add the swiss chard. Simmer for a few minutes until the chard softens. In a separate frying pan heat a fresh drizzle of olive or coconut oil. Pan fry the mushrooms until golden brown and just tender. Season lightly. Spoon the greens and golden mushrooms into a serving dish. Top with the pomegranate rubies, toasted coconut flakes and a fresh crack of black pepper. Serve alongside any festive meal or enjoy as is.