I did it! I caved! I started Banting… and so far, so good! First order of business was to sort out snacks: nuts, avos, cheese, salami… check! And then, of course something warm to nibble. Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms https://bit.ly/1CO8M90 was my first choice. This delish recipe is from The Wellness Kitchen: Fresh, Flavorful Recipes for a Healthier You by Paulette Lambert, RD, CDE.
Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
450g fresh medium-sized mushrooms, Portobello or button
1 tbsp olive oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
170g baby spinach
2tbsp low fat cream cheese
½ cup plus 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne
* Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth. Remove stems. Finely chop stems. Set mushroom caps on a parchment-lined baking sheet, stem-side-up.
* Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped stems and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.
* Add spinach to the pan and cook until just wilted. Remove from heat and squeeze out any excess water with paper towels, so the mushroom filling is not watery.
* Transfer the onion/mushroom mixture and spinach to a food processor. Add cream cheese, ¼ cup shredded Parmesan, salt, pepper and cayenne. Mix until smooth.
* Stuff the mushroom caps. Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan over the mushrooms. Place under grill for 2-3 minutes until cheese is lightly browned and melted. Serve immediately.